Thu, 13 September 2018
HELLO, WORLD WIDE WEB
This is your show, ya filthy animals. Enjoy it, or don't. We don't give a hoot.
MUSICAL GUEST: Mitski - Be the Cowboy
THE BASEBALL THINGS
MINOR LEAGUE NAMES TEAM OF THE WEEK: FORT MYERS MIRACLE
OLD SCHOOL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Eric Soderholm
Mon, 14 May 2018
Let's talk to it.
MUSICAL GUEST: This Is the Kit. Moonshine Freeze is out now on Rough Trade.
HUMAN GUEST: Andy McCullough (again). It worked this time!!
THE BASEBALL THINGS
MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF THE WEEK: Buies Creek Astros
Wee Harry Chappas ... and a twist.
Wed, 13 July 2016
Hello! It is we, the based ball mens. We made sound thing for you! It unfold like this:
- The Open, where we are a total mess.
- The Email o’ the Week: Ritchie (@ritchieage) wonders if we actually need to be told that dinged dongs are going "back" before they are "gone."
- The Baseball Things:
- The Old School Player o’ the Week is:
RANDY "JUNKMAN" JONES
“Junkman” earned the nickname because of his filthy sinker, not his literal junk. He’s the proud owner of some plus #DADLAP, plus #DADHAT (when he actually wore one) and some elite locks that fall somewhere between Richard Simmons merm and Phil Spector’s beehive.
Jones was born in Fullerton and went to Chapman University, was a 5th round selection of the Padres in 1972, made his big league debut in 1973, was a 20-game winner and All-Star in 1975, a 22-game winner, All-Star and CY Young Award winner in 1976, and fell off a cliff (not literally) quickly thereafter. That was due in large part to the Padres being exceedingly shitty from 1976 to 1980 (and beyond). He had a 2.24 ERA (3.23 FIP) in ‘75, and won 22 games and pitched 25 complete games in ‘76. Jones was traded to the Mets in 1981 and no longer a MLB player by 1983.
After his playing career he coached young players (Barry Zito being the most prominent), opened a couple restaurants, started a catering company – Randy Jones Buckboard Catering – and has his own BBQ sauce.
Mon, 11 April 2016
Welcome to the second episode of the new leaner, meaner, and more in-betweener Productive Outs PRODcast. Here's what's in store for ye:
The Email o' the Week: Zak writes in to discuss baseball and music.
The Baseball Things.
The Old School Player of the Week is:
This is a deeeeep cut. Sharts, whose name is a sentence, never played in the big leagues, but spent six years in the Philadelphia Phillies organization as a middling left-handed reliever between 1985 and 1990. He spent two years at AAA Scranton Wilkes-Barre, and posted decent numbers, but never got the call … which is probably a good thing because and announcer saying “Steve Sharts on the mound for the Phillies” would have broken the Internet before the Internet even existed.
He also looks an awful lot like Thomas Middleditch from Silicon Valley and Tom Kenny from Mr. Show (and Spongebob).
Tue, 9 September 2014
103 wins and no postesedason berth. That hardly seems fair.
- Open (0:00-7:15)
- Emails (7:47-27:20)
- Baseball things:
- Musical advice: Where does the "palying it live" consideration come in the writing process?
- Au revoir
Direct download: PRODcast_93_-_When_Being_Good_Wasnt_Good_Enough.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 8:29pm PST
Wed, 3 September 2014
GAZE AT ITS LUSTROUS GLORY
Here's the show:
- Open (0:00-7:05)
- Emails (7:45-24:45)
- The baseball things! (53:38-1:19:26)
- Puig Destroyer news and a quick wrap-up. (1:20:11-1:23:43)
Thanks for listenin'!
Direct download: PRODcast_92_-_Dennis_Eckersleys_Feathered_Hair_Helmet.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 8:32pm PST
Wed, 27 August 2014
There he is, our Lord and Savior: Minor League Guy! Everything we do -- including this episode -- we do in his name.
Here's what we've got:
- The open (0:00-3:15)
- Your crazy emails (3:55-25:30)
- The baseball talk! (29:30-51:52)
- Musical advice x 2: (52:45-1:05:10)
- The week(s) in review: Puig Destroyer stuff and Ian's vacation rundown. We won't be hurt if you skip this part. (1:05:10-1:13:20)
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Tue, 5 August 2014
Quick show before both of us take off for vacation and/or work. Please consume and enjoy!
- Open: Managing expectations (0:00-4:04)
- Emails: Short, sweet, and very good. (You guys, not us.) (4:51-20:33)
- Baseball talk: (27:10-49:26)
- Music and baseball question: "having a" vs. "playing" catch and what goes into sequencing an album? (50:15-1:02:25)
- Puig Destroyer non-updates and TTFN! (1:02:25-1:09:40)
Direct download: PRODcast_90_-_Theres_a_Base_at_the_End_of_This.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 7:59pm PST
Tue, 22 July 2014
Ice is back with a brand-new invention: PRODcast 88!
- Open (0:00-3:30)
- Emails (4:05-28:50)
- Baseball things (34:10-1:04:10)
- Musical advice but not really: Gilead Fest/tour recap, and Bob Uecker: An Appreciation (1:04:50-1:17:30)
Direct download: PRODcast_88_-_Hello_We_Ordered_A_Frank_Thomas_and_Got_A_Kyle_Blanks_Instead.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 7:46pm PST
Tue, 8 July 2014
Dan Otero was literally just claimed off waivers and then released. Oh, look -- it happened again! Whoops, the A's just claimed and released him. Look it up. It's true!
Here is our show for the week of 7/7/2014. We hope you enjoy it!
- Open. If we all wish real hard, Dan Otero will become a real boy! (0:00-5:37)
- Emails. Crazy people, the lot of you. (6:20-25:38)
- Combination musical and baseballish guest: Josh Kantor (26:22-46:26)
- Baseball things (46:48-1:16:12)
- What's next: a brief KWC tour and a fond farewell (for now) (1:16:12-1:20:00)
EPISODE ERRATA, Ruben Rivera edition
Direct download: PRODcast_87_-_Dan_Otero_Was_Just_Claimed_Off_Waivers.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 6:56pm PST
Tue, 1 July 2014
Hello! A short, sweet, guest-free episode for you this week, with baseball, musical advice, and #TRASHDICK for everyone!
- Open (0:00-3:20)
- Emails (4:00-23:50)
- Musical guest: CONVERGE (24:35-32:25)
- Baseball talk: (32:25-58:25)
- Musical advice: What do you think about, and how do you approach/interpret your recorded performances? (59:10-1:08:08)
- Puig Destroyer update and KWC tour (1:08:08-1:11:00)
Direct download: PRODcast_86_-_Not_a_single_baseball_player_has_ever_worn_this_number.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 7:56pm PST
Tue, 17 June 2014
Short and sweet this week, kids. Bing bang boom. Still no shortage of great #content, with our unique based ball inight accompanied by the mellifluous strains of ILLUSTRATIONS.
- The open: memories of a young, portly Prince, enveloped in Zubazity. (0:00-4:05)
- The emails. Y'all crazy. (4:40-22:55)
- The baseball things: (26:26-50:20)
- Musical advice: what the hell is Ian's problem with Guided by Voices, and the fine line of fidelity (51:00-1:00:00)
- Puig Destroyer updates and TTFN (1:00:00-1:03:02)
Tue, 10 June 2014
Super excited for this one, which is basically just Riley and Ian talking for almost 2 hours about how great Eric Gagne was.
Nah, just kidding, the was a giant tool! But we do have other great stuff for you, including:
- The open (0:00-5:23)
- The emails (5:51-29:31)
- The musical guest: FUCKED UP. (30:10-33:45)
- The human guest: Justin Halpern (33:45-1:04:13)
- The baseball stuff: (1:04:47-1:38:52)
- The li'l KWC tour report (1:39:30-1:47:36)
See you next week!
Direct download: PRODcast_83_-_What_was_Eric_Gagnes_deal_anyway.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 6:58pm PST
Tue, 6 May 2014
How lucky are we that one of the few 79s to ever play the game is absolutely destroying Major League Baseball right now? Answer: very.
Jose Abreu, you guys. He's reeeeeeallllllll good.
And here is the show that bears his number and name!
- The open. We welcome you to the show and wax poetical on Abreu briefly. (0:00-5:00)
- The emails. You people all need psychiatric help. (5:44-29:11)
- The human guest: Matt Sussman of Baseball Prospectus, SB Nation, and elsewhere. I still don't know what curling is. (34:00-52:45)
- Baseball things! (53:24-1:15:25)
- The outro. Bye, y'all! (1:15:25-1:23:08)
Tue, 29 April 2014
… and the bartender says, “Here’s your DFA. See ya.”
(It's funny because it's true.)
Some items of business:
- We ask that you please rate and review the show on iTunes, whether or not you listen to it via iTunes. Please.
Now, on to the show!
- First comes the open, where we babble. (0:00-5:01)
- Then come the emails, where you babble. (5:39-30:26)
- After that are the baseball things! (36:13-1:10:36)
- The musical advice happens here, but it's less an advice request and more of, y'know, just a question. What are the first and last albums listed alphabetically in your iTunes? (1:11:21-1:25:33)
- And then the farewell. Bye!
Direct download: PRODcast_78_Blaine_Boyer__Guillermo_Rodriguez_and_Justin_Thomas_Walk_Into_A_Bar.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 9:09am PST
Tue, 15 April 2014
We made a thing and put it inside a cat and shot it out onto the internet!
Also, this (via The Big Lead):
But the show!
- Open (0:00-3:37)
-Baseball stuff: (48:40-1:14:55)
- Musical advice question: The necessary evil of band names (1:15:30-
- KWC show debrief and other stuff (1:23:30-1:29:00)
Direct download: PRODcast_76_-_Mike_Koploves_Olympic_Bronze_Medal_Is_Probably_for_Sale.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 7:00pm PST
Tue, 8 April 2014
We're back to a weekly schedule because baseball is back! The Lord giveth and then she taketh away, or something.
In other, less painful (we hope) audio news, here is a prawncats!
- The open (0:00-7:35)
- The emails. Weird, as usual. (8:15-29:45)
- The music: feat. Get Pure, the new album from MOUNT CARMEL. (30:30-32:30)
- The baseball talk (32:30-1:02:20)
- The musical advice: the vagaries of record-label contracts, sales, reissues, and the like. (1:03:05-1:13:40)
- The self-promotion (1:13:40-1:17:55)
- The farewell
Tue, 1 April 2014
Yeah, this podcast is dedicated to all the teachers that told us we'd never get past episode fitty. It's all good, baby baby.
- It was all a dream: Not Jose Mota welcomes back the baseall season (0:00-7:12)
- We used to read your crazy-ass emails (7:45-28:45)
- Salt and Pepa and Animals as Leaders up in the limousine (29:2-34:15)
- Every Wednesday night, Evan Funk Davies, not Marley Marl (34:15-53:55)
- Baseball talk til my tape popped (54:42-1:20:11)
And if you don't know, now you know...
Mon, 3 March 2014
In honor of Carlton Fisk, we bring you what may be our shortest episode ever! We hope you enjoy it.
Also, we love Hunter Harvey now.
- The open (:27-5:00)
- The emails. (5:40-39:38) Wanna email us?? email@example.com!
- The musical guest: BEARCUBBIN' (41:00-44:48)
- The baseball talk (44:48-1:02:40)
- Spring training, Puig Destroyer, book proposals, and fares well (1:03:10-1:14:00)
Direct download: PRODcast_72_-_Carlton_Fisk_Captain_of_the_Fun_Police.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 8:08pm PST
Thu, 20 February 2014
YOU GUYS. IT'S ALMOST BASEBALL. So we made a show for you. Here's how it went.
-Open (0:00- 3:45)
-Emails from Canadians (4:15-23:25)
-Musical Guest: VULGAR TRADE (24:15-25:50)
-Human Guest: Will Sharp, pro scout with the Houston Astros (25:50-1:09:00)
-Baseball Things! (1:09:55)
-Musical Advice: How does someone who's never played an instrument start in adulthood? (1:25:30-1:30:20)
-What’s Next? BP annual, Puig Destroyer write about baseball for Decibel, spring training trips... (1:30:20-1:37:20)
Direct download: PRODcast_71_-_Gonzalez_German_Germens_Germane_Germing.mp3
Category:Baseball -- posted at: 6:58pm PST